NANTU has 20 staff members, of which 4 are seconded, 15 permanents and 1 temporary. The Head Office is based in Windhoek and 10 regional offices of which 5 are property (Kavango East, Ohangwena , Khomas , Oshana and Omusati which is under construction while 5 are being rented in Karas , Otjozondjupa , Kavango West , Erongo and Oshikoto .
Formed 11th March 1989 at A. Shipena Secondary School in Katutura , Windhoek
Currently, NANTU has ± 18,000 members from approximately 26,000 teachers in the Republic of Namibia. At a monthly basis between 50 and 80 teachers are signing up with NANTU.
Educate to Liberate
NANTU envisages a quality education system to which all Namibians have equal access, derive benefit from and which functions in educational policy and regulatory environment in which the teachers can develop their full potential and perform and deliver to a maximum in the interest of the personal and professional advancement and growth of all Namibia.
NANTU is a national democratic, autonomous, non-sexist, non-racial teachers’ union catering for the professional, social and economic needs of its members and influencing and enhancing the education system
Our Branches in Namibia
Hover over the markers for more information
Negotiations & Agreements
Subjects for negotiations between the Employer (GRN) and the Union (NANTU) are the following:
Rates of pay including normal and overtime hours, allowances, occupational differentiated adjustments any bonuses
- Principles and procedures of appointments, promotions, transfers, and discharges.
- Leave and leave pay including public holidays, annual leave, sick leave, maternity leave, study leave, compassionate leave, special leave to attend union activities, and all other types of leave
- Hours of work
- Medical aid schemes
- Safety measures and health
- Pension matters
- Disciplinary and grievance procedures
- Subsistence and traveling allowances, camp allowances, transfer costs as well as compensation for the use of private transport for official purposes
- Roles, functions, and duties of workplace representatives
- Facilities for union representation
- Procedures for the amendment of the Agreement
- Mechanism to enforce certain clauses
- Any other matters relating to terms and conditions of service